ABBC Building Inspectors advice to anyone buying or building a home
Earlier this week, 7 news reported on a Woodvale mother who’s in a public fight with Dale Alcock homes about her new house that was built with a faulty slab.
Andrew Booth from ABBC Building Inspectors joined Michael and Carmen on Weekend Breakfast to give his top 6 tips before buying or building a home.
- Ring your building inspector before you make an offer to buy a house in order to build into the contract clauses weighted in your favour
- If you are buying a metal-roofed house it probably needs inspecting to bring it up to Code
- If you are building, at least get the slab and brickwork inspected – it sets the tone for the remainder of the build
- If you are buying an apartment, make very sure that the builder will be around for the next 6 years
- If you are doing renovations exceeding $20K to your house (new bathroom, new kitchen, new driveway, swimming pool etc) get an inspector to view what you are proposing to do, to advise you on the pitfalls that may beset you and give you an idea of what else might be involved.
- Everybody to lobby their member of Parliament to have a 5-day cooling off period when you buy a house, the same as every other state in Australia.
Download this podcast here