Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Small batteries create a big problem

Button batteries are becoming a bigger problems as technology miniaturises and becomes more powerful and groups are calling for stricter regulations when it comes to the small batteries.

Nationally, around 20 children a week are coming into hospital emergency departments after swallowing batteries. As technology grows the button batteries are increasing in power and mostly come from gadgets rather than kids toys, which already have strict regulations.   

Peter Bell spoke with the CEO of Kidsafe WA, Scott Phillips, about the issue and says:
‘Little children have always swallowed things, they explore with their mouth, but with these button batteries, when they go in within two hours they can cause a chemical reaction that burns through your esophagus.’

Listen to the full interview here…

You can find more information at http://thebatterycontrolled.com.au/

Advertisement