Mmm…. Cheese and Honey
Don Hancey the WA Food Ambassador joined Tony to talk about WA Cheese week and WA Honey month… He also shared this great recipe.
Warm Bookara Goat Haloumi Cheese with WA Honey, Omega Walnuts and Bravo Apples
500gm (approx.) Bookara Goat haloumi cheese, cut into slices
1 lemon or lime cut in half
2 tbsp WA honey
3 tbsp WA extra virgin olive oil
3 Bravo apples, cored and sliced
100gm Manjimup omega walnuts, roughly chopped
WA Lake Deborah salt
fresh chilli, sliced (optional)
1. Core and slice apples, add a dash of oil to a pan and lightly grill, about 1
minute each side.
2. When you’re ready to eat the finished dish warm a large frying pan over a
medium heat. Fry the haloumi in batches for 2-3 mins on each side until the
cheese is a light golden brown and just beginning to crisp. You can keep the
haloumi warm in a low oven while you pan fry the rest.
3. After removing the haloumi lightly toast the walnuts in the same pan
4. Lay the apple and haloumi on a large plate
5. Squeeze with lemon or lime then drizzle with honey and top with walnuts.
The haloumi and apple can be cooked on a bbq on medium heat to add that light
char flavour, then plated up and drizzled with the honey and lemon
* Add fresh chilli or use a chilli flavoured honey
* Dried Bravo Apples from the southern forest region of WA make an
awesome addition to the recipe, just garnish with them at plate up stage
* All these WA products can be purchased at Yagan Square Shops
Recipe created by Chef & WA Food Ambassador
Download this podcast here