Coronavirus stops Holy Communion
The Auxiliary Bishop of Perth has instructed WA Catholic Churches to remove Holy Water, omit the Sign of Peace and not share the chalice at any Masses.
The Administrator of the Archdiocese of Perth says under public health advice issued by the State and Federal Governments they have to make temporary changes to their traditions.
• Holy Water is to be removed from stoups in all Churches and Chapels.
• Offertory gifts are to be in closed vessels or, where this is not possible, vessels
should be appropriately covered.
• The Sign of Peace is to be omitted at all Masses.
• The distribution of Holy Communion under both species is to cease.
• The Precious Blood is not to be shared from the chalice at any Masses and is
reserved to the celebrant(s) only.
• Priests are to encourage communicants to receive the Sacred Host in the hand, not
on the tongue.
• All priests and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion are to wash their hands in
soap and water, or are to use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser both immediately
before and immediately after the distribution of Holy Communion.
Click PLAY to hear the conversation.
Download this podcast here