- Fighting phone use in cars
- F-35's to cost $12b
- They're off and waiting!
- MKR pair has slow boil appeal
- ANZAC sunset services
- Seriously? Our flag's made overseas?
- Bulk bill co payment likely
- It's ok for Boys to cry
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Andrew on Seriously? Our flag's made overseas? Ironically the day that this subject was brought up, my wife and I just received an Australian flag and flag pole to put up ... more
- Rhonda on Bulk bill co payment likely Australians already pay 17.5% of all health costs. Overall our health costs as a percentage of our economy are sitting at a ... more
- Dellas on Bulk bill co payment likely Why can't we just give the $6.00 directly to the GP and forget the Bulk Billing? Let's face it, for the 2 or 3 minutes it ... more
- Wayde on Seriously? Our flag's made overseas? The Department Of Defence needs to realise that it is not their money they are sending overseas, it's my money and everyones ... more
- Diana on AHA want penalty rate changes Its a disgrace to bring up US wages in catering in comparison. $6.50/hr plus tips might go to $9? Very slick interview. Look ... more
- Dellas on Pratt concedes defeat Actually, I was going to go below the line to vote for Louise, but after looking at that ridiculous Ballot paper, I chose ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Pratt concedes defeat Time for Palmer United Party to takeover Labor completely and have all unions working for him and all all States including ... more
- Stuart Hardie on One text ended three young lives I think that texting while driving is insane when people can get killed I think that having a road safety campaign is a good ... more
- Andrew on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Paul, did you actually see what Sylia did. Regardless if he gave him concussion or not, he intentionally hit him in the ... more
- Paul on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Take your eagles jacket off Karl! more
- Jay on Where for art thou CCC? Unless it has the name Burke somewhere in the investigation then they are not interested, right? more
- Geoff Kay on Drop Nic Naitanui now Barb,You do not know what you are talking about, Brad Hardie deserved his Brownlow what have you won?Lt maybe Natanui needs ... more
- Dean Ercegovic on Drop Nic Naitanui now How does he compare to the great Stephen Michael. They were basically same size and physical attributes, yet at the same age ... more
- Barb on Drop Nic Naitanui now Brad Hardie has never had anything positive to say about the Eagles. His opinion counts for nothing. The most over rated ... more
- john on Joe Hockey's pension problems Joe Hockey wants everybody to tighten there belts to bring the budget down , well what about the Politian's tightening there ... more
- Liza on Drop Nic Naitanui now Leave Nic alone - people should look at their own form either in the work force or in their chosen sport - if they are at ... more
- Rob on Drop Nic Naitanui now Could not agree more Nic is a liability in his current form, and I reckon his confidence is shot, let him give the WAFL a ... more
- Val on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My Deepest Sympathy goes to the owners of Sheber. I hope the useless thugs who killed your beautiful dog get punished with a ... more
- Termoil on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My tears fall for Sheber, a defenceless, innocent, helpless loved family dog. HOW CRUEL. HOW UNBELIEVABLY CRUEL. ... more
- Carole Wynne on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Hope they get caught soon let's all see what the cowards look like. I am so angry my heart breaks for the family . more
Out today is The Campaign, which stars two top comedians in Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis. Ferrell has been the number one comedian for the past decade or so, becoming a cult hero in Anchorman, Semi Pro, Blades of Glory, Step Brothers and The Other Guys. Galifianakis (The Hangover) is the new Ferrell. He’s the goofy clown and the unpredictable man-child…and very much in the Ferrell mold.
So I was keen to see the master and the apprentice face-off here. Would the young upstart upstage the master, or would the old dog teach the new pup a few tricks?
Ferrell plays Cam Brady, a sleazy, lazy US congressman who’s run unopposed in his North Carolina district. When a pair of powerful millionaires (Dan Aykroyd, John Lithgow) plan to "in-source" cheap Chinese labor to the US, they find the perfect political puppet in Marty Huggins (Galifainakis), a brainless, effeminate boob who’s too clueless to question where his campaign funds are coming from.
Before you can say ‘electioneering,’ the two are trading insults and dirty tricks. Name calling and personal attacks quickly escalate into blackmail and fist fights. Then things get really ugly; Ferrell seduces Galifianakis’s wife, and records it, and Galifianakis shoots Ferrell in the leg.
The Campaign is from Jay Roach, who made the Austin Powers and Meet the Parents movies…so you can expect that kind of juvenile, silly, crass humour. It’s basically the old odd-couple buddy comedy routine, with the two numbskulls going hammer and tong.
It should make for a fun film. Think of it; two top comedians facing off as political enemies, given all the real-life political scandals we’ve had.
Sadly, The Campaign has only a few genuine laughs, so I was largely disappointed. It’s less about political satire than the gutter tactics each do to bring the other down. Neither candidate stands for anything – there’s no actual campaigning — just name-calling and mud-slinging.
It could have been much smarter and funnier if it was written as a shaper political satire instead of a goofball comedy.
That said, a lot of the comedy comes from the mere look of the leads. Galifianakis has a roly-poly body, wears Cosby sweaters and a “Taliban” moustache. Ferrell plainly parted hair goes nicely his blank stare.
There’s a very funny sight gag when both compete to kiss a baby, and Sarah Baker steals it as Huggins’ sweet, wholesome wife, Mitzi.
It also runs at a very quick 85 minutes. If only all political campaigns were that quick!
However, there’s nothing we haven’t seen done before — and done better — in this lowbrow trash-talking comedy. And to be honest, Ferrell’s trademark rants and improvised insults and one-liners are wearing a bit thin and feel quite dated.
So The Campaign does not get my vote.
SCORE: 5 / 10