- Over 55's chasing adventure
- Video:Daylight Dog theft
- PM's adviser backs burqa ban
- Why is Perth so pricey
- Bill to ban cigarette sales
- Free but monitored
- Man arrested in Melbourne raids
- Pointlessly poignant.
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- ono notagain on PM's adviser backs burqa ban Who elected Peta Credlin? She even appeared at the U.N. in our name. Why is this woman given so much authority? She is NOT ... more
- Male RN on Show exhibit in poor taste? If people think its funny, its only because you are either so ignorant or innocent of what mental health really is.Alot of ... more
- Denise on "She has no idea" The media are trying to the same thing they did on Pauline Hanson. Run her out. You watch. Media is controlled by ... more
- Diana on Debt drop not enough State has billion dollar interest debt annually? Troy Buswell stated that years ago, not long after taking office? What's ... more
- Vlad on From the other side Good God, Is EVERYTHING becoming corrupt these days? Where will it end?Shamed that this bloke who sounds like an Aussie, and ... more
- Dellas on "She has no idea" Tell me, "tessata", was Hitler a Christian? Was Churchill?Where exactly is Dresden?Or Israel?And what was that ... more
- Leonard Pickel on Show exhibit in poor taste? "Poke them with sticks"? That is the problem when you vilify something that is not even open to the public yet. You have no ... more
- Dellas on Show exhibit in poor taste? What precious creatures are little Joe and Danielle.Unless they have been at the pointy end (so to say) of the "Mental ... more
- tessata on Not happy here? Then leave NOT ALL CHRISTIANS ARE CATHOLICS DALLAS SO WHY BRING THEM INTO IT.THE POPE AND NUNS DO NOT FEEL THE NEED TO HIDE THEIR FACES ... more
- Danny O'Dea on Priddis the pride of WA YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! more
- Jurg Thommen on Road revenue being misused I got flashed in street without any speed limit signs doing 60 in a (supposed) 50 zone. Turned from a marked 60 road into ... more
- Joe Calleja on Show exhibit in poor taste? This is an example of how mental health remains stigmatized in the community. The Royal Show organizers are the people who ... more
- Danielle McCarney on Show exhibit in poor taste? It sounds like the exact kind of awful demonising of mental illness that mental health workers and allies have been trying ... more
- MERRIL ROBERTSON on Insensitive, silly or plain stupid? Get over it.!!!!!!! They were dressed as the Williams sisters and they are BLACK!!!!!!! If they didn't colour themselves, ... more
- Tracey on Insensitive, silly or plain stupid? Too many politically correct people.Who cares really?? When guys get dressed up as women should they be offended? ... more
- Dellas on Show exhibit in poor taste? How about telling the doctors, nurses, "Mental Health" experts, hospitals and associated "stake holders" to stop ... more
- Dellas on Show exhibit in poor taste? "Tisk, tisk", I say.Since when did the so-called psychologically healthy ever STOP poking sticks (literally and ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Priddis the pride of WA Lissy & I say well deserved win for Priddis last night. I picked that he would win it. more
- tessata on "She has no idea" AS gary says Chistians DONT accept the violence in the OLD testament, but the thing is muslims DO accept the OLD ways of ... more
- tessata on "She has no idea" dr aly is yet another interlectual expert that doesnt live in the real world. Another muslim coverup. Yes Muslims are a ... more
Snow White and the Huntsman
The fairytale is back in a big way. Hollywood has raided Mother Hubbard’s cupboard because a pot of gold is waiting to be made by re-branding popular fairytales for modern audiences.
We’ve already had the Snow White adaptation Mirror Mirror, a kooky kid’s comedy starring Julia Roberts as the evil queen. And Disney-Pixar’s latest animation, Brave, is a fairytale about a feisty young Scottish lass.
Now we have another Snow White adaptation, Snow White and the Huntsman, and it’s based on one of the original fairytales written by The Brothers Grimm, the German pair behind many gothic fairytales that have been Disney-fied into charming animated films over the years.
This is a much darker, grittier, gothic version of the story, and it has a real medieval tone, with metal armour, chainmail, broad swords and armies on horses. There’s elements of Gladiator, Braveheart and even Lord of the Rings here. Yet the story is pure Snow White.
After her mother dies and her father marries the evil queen (Charlize Theron), Snow White (Kristen Stewart) is locked up in a tower until she comes of age. The queen, who sucks people’s souls in order to stay young, knows from her trusty mirror mirror on the wall that Snow is the fairest one of all.
In fact, the mirror tells her she’ll have immortality if she consumes Snow’s heart. Yum! Alas, Snow escapes to the Black Forrest, where the queen has no powers. So the queen orders a fierce huntsman (Aussie Chris Hemsworth) into tracking her down and bringing her back.
Snow White and the Huntsman looks as impressive as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter despite plenty of CG imagery of castles, forests, mythical creatures and magic spells.
But it’s longer than Pinocchio’s nose, it moves at the pace of Red Riding Hood’s granny and takes about 25 minutes to reveal its plot. It also uses that old voice-over narration trick for background info because the script is not strong enough to tell the story on its own.
Most of all, Kristen Stewart is the bad apple here. Yes, she’s beautiful, but she barely speaks, and instead does a lot of physical acting. Lots of wistful looks, longing and pouting. There is almost no difference between her Twilight character and it really distracts you from the film. I was waiting for vampires and werewolves to jump out at any moment.
But it’s not a complete loss either.
There’s plenty of eye candy, from Stewart (she is beautiful) to Hemsworth (aka Thor) to the battle scenes with swords, axes and bow and arrows. There’s fairies and trolls and — yes — seven swashbuckling dwarfs, while the costumes, make-up, art decoration and set decoration is as good as you’ll see despite being so CG heavy.
It’s just a pity the story is so drawn out with love interests, love rivals, and a village of scarred women. It takes a long time to get to the obvious conclusion.
Theron steals it as the evil queen, playing her as a truly evil, power-hungry, man-hating queen who’s not above killing kings and eating snow white’s heart. Only Theron or perhaps Angelina Jolie could play this role, and coincidentally, Jolie will play her in Maleficent; yet another Snow White movie on the way but one seen through the queen’s eyes.
This Snow White is not nearly one of the better fairytale movies, but it is a sumptuous feast for the eyes and ears.
SCORE: 6 out of 10