- Nahan's budget warning
- 'Homophobic Bullock a set back'
- O'Farrell resigns over gift
- 1 text ended 3 young lives
- Two dead in mine collapse
- Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court'
- Taxi industry in shock
- Regardless of form Naitanui plays
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Take your eagles jacket off Karl! more
- Geoff Kay on Drop Nic Naitanui now Barb,You do not know what you are talking about, Brad Hardie deserved his Brownlow what have you won?Lt maybe Natanui needs ... more
- Dean Ercegovic on Drop Nic Naitanui now How does he compare to the great Stephen Michael. They were basically same size and physical attributes, yet at the same age ... more
- Barb on Drop Nic Naitanui now Brad Hardie has never had anything positive to say about the Eagles. His opinion counts for nothing. The most over rated ... more
- john on Joe Hockey's pension problems Joe Hockey wants everybody to tighten there belts to bring the budget down , well what about the Politian's tightening there ... more
- Liza on Drop Nic Naitanui now Leave Nic alone - people should look at their own form either in the work force or in their chosen sport - if they are at ... more
- Rob on Drop Nic Naitanui now Could not agree more Nic is a liability in his current form, and I reckon his confidence is shot, let him give the WAFL a ... more
- Val on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My Deepest Sympathy goes to the owners of Sheber. I hope the useless thugs who killed your beautiful dog get punished with a ... more
- Termoil on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My tears fall for Sheber, a defenceless, innocent, helpless loved family dog. HOW CRUEL. HOW UNBELIEVABLY CRUEL. ... more
- Carole Wynne on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Hope they get caught soon let's all see what the cowards look like. I am so angry my heart breaks for the family . more
- Maxine Kent on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog This has made me so sick. Their are just no words for this terrible crime. I cant even think of it as I cry just like so ... more
- Stacey on Carparks full by 5.40am I agree - if the buses ran more regularly, more people would catch this option to the train station. Hourly is not good ... more
- Kat on Carparks full by 5.40am I would like to see the buses that connect to the train stations run on a more regular basis. During the week days my bus ... more
- Jodi on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog I am sorry to hear of what happened to your dog. I too have a 15 year old dog called Sheba. I can only imagine how you feel. ... more
- Anne on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Certainly the judicial system is a problem.However the root causes are clearly the unravelling of social morality, and in ... more
- Cheryl on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My heart breaks for Sally and her family and my sympathies go out to them on the loss of their beautiful Sheber. A ... more
- Nick on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog This makes me absolutely furious....what a guttles, spineless germ you must be. You haven't amounted to anything in your ... more
- Diana on Carparks full by 5.40am Unfortunately no-one else can use these carparks, as commuters take them all. Another problem that needs to be sorted out. more
- Diana on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Much love to Sheber and her family. You were with her at the end, and she knew. Thank God for that. more
- betty riley on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog a bootcamp will help these people to get away from the drugs they are on. more
Snow White and the Huntsman
The fairytale is back in a big way. Hollywood has raided Mother Hubbard’s cupboard because a pot of gold is waiting to be made by re-branding popular fairytales for modern audiences.
We’ve already had the Snow White adaptation Mirror Mirror, a kooky kid’s comedy starring Julia Roberts as the evil queen. And Disney-Pixar’s latest animation, Brave, is a fairytale about a feisty young Scottish lass.
Now we have another Snow White adaptation, Snow White and the Huntsman, and it’s based on one of the original fairytales written by The Brothers Grimm, the German pair behind many gothic fairytales that have been Disney-fied into charming animated films over the years.
This is a much darker, grittier, gothic version of the story, and it has a real medieval tone, with metal armour, chainmail, broad swords and armies on horses. There’s elements of Gladiator, Braveheart and even Lord of the Rings here. Yet the story is pure Snow White.
After her mother dies and her father marries the evil queen (Charlize Theron), Snow White (Kristen Stewart) is locked up in a tower until she comes of age. The queen, who sucks people’s souls in order to stay young, knows from her trusty mirror mirror on the wall that Snow is the fairest one of all.
In fact, the mirror tells her she’ll have immortality if she consumes Snow’s heart. Yum! Alas, Snow escapes to the Black Forrest, where the queen has no powers. So the queen orders a fierce huntsman (Aussie Chris Hemsworth) into tracking her down and bringing her back.
Snow White and the Huntsman looks as impressive as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter despite plenty of CG imagery of castles, forests, mythical creatures and magic spells.
But it’s longer than Pinocchio’s nose, it moves at the pace of Red Riding Hood’s granny and takes about 25 minutes to reveal its plot. It also uses that old voice-over narration trick for background info because the script is not strong enough to tell the story on its own.
Most of all, Kristen Stewart is the bad apple here. Yes, she’s beautiful, but she barely speaks, and instead does a lot of physical acting. Lots of wistful looks, longing and pouting. There is almost no difference between her Twilight character and it really distracts you from the film. I was waiting for vampires and werewolves to jump out at any moment.
But it’s not a complete loss either.
There’s plenty of eye candy, from Stewart (she is beautiful) to Hemsworth (aka Thor) to the battle scenes with swords, axes and bow and arrows. There’s fairies and trolls and — yes — seven swashbuckling dwarfs, while the costumes, make-up, art decoration and set decoration is as good as you’ll see despite being so CG heavy.
It’s just a pity the story is so drawn out with love interests, love rivals, and a village of scarred women. It takes a long time to get to the obvious conclusion.
Theron steals it as the evil queen, playing her as a truly evil, power-hungry, man-hating queen who’s not above killing kings and eating snow white’s heart. Only Theron or perhaps Angelina Jolie could play this role, and coincidentally, Jolie will play her in Maleficent; yet another Snow White movie on the way but one seen through the queen’s eyes.
This Snow White is not nearly one of the better fairytale movies, but it is a sumptuous feast for the eyes and ears.
SCORE: 6 out of 10