- Fighting phone use in cars
- F-35's to cost $12b
- They're off and waiting!
- MKR pair has slow boil appeal
- ANZAC sunset services
- Seriously? Our flag's made overseas?
- Bulk bill co payment likely
- It's ok for Boys to cry
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Andrew on Seriously? Our flag's made overseas? Ironically the day that this subject was brought up, my wife and I just received an Australian flag and flag pole to put up ... more
- Rhonda on Bulk bill co payment likely Australians already pay 17.5% of all health costs. Overall our health costs as a percentage of our economy are sitting at a ... more
- Dellas on Bulk bill co payment likely Why can't we just give the $6.00 directly to the GP and forget the Bulk Billing? Let's face it, for the 2 or 3 minutes it ... more
- Wayde on Seriously? Our flag's made overseas? The Department Of Defence needs to realise that it is not their money they are sending overseas, it's my money and everyones ... more
- Diana on AHA want penalty rate changes Its a disgrace to bring up US wages in catering in comparison. $6.50/hr plus tips might go to $9? Very slick interview. Look ... more
- Dellas on Pratt concedes defeat Actually, I was going to go below the line to vote for Louise, but after looking at that ridiculous Ballot paper, I chose ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Pratt concedes defeat Time for Palmer United Party to takeover Labor completely and have all unions working for him and all all States including ... more
- Stuart Hardie on One text ended three young lives I think that texting while driving is insane when people can get killed I think that having a road safety campaign is a good ... more
- Andrew on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Paul, did you actually see what Sylia did. Regardless if he gave him concussion or not, he intentionally hit him in the ... more
- Paul on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Take your eagles jacket off Karl! more
- Jay on Where for art thou CCC? Unless it has the name Burke somewhere in the investigation then they are not interested, right? more
- Geoff Kay on Drop Nic Naitanui now Barb,You do not know what you are talking about, Brad Hardie deserved his Brownlow what have you won?Lt maybe Natanui needs ... more
- Dean Ercegovic on Drop Nic Naitanui now How does he compare to the great Stephen Michael. They were basically same size and physical attributes, yet at the same age ... more
- Barb on Drop Nic Naitanui now Brad Hardie has never had anything positive to say about the Eagles. His opinion counts for nothing. The most over rated ... more
- john on Joe Hockey's pension problems Joe Hockey wants everybody to tighten there belts to bring the budget down , well what about the Politian's tightening there ... more
- Liza on Drop Nic Naitanui now Leave Nic alone - people should look at their own form either in the work force or in their chosen sport - if they are at ... more
- Rob on Drop Nic Naitanui now Could not agree more Nic is a liability in his current form, and I reckon his confidence is shot, let him give the WAFL a ... more
- Val on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My Deepest Sympathy goes to the owners of Sheber. I hope the useless thugs who killed your beautiful dog get punished with a ... more
- Termoil on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My tears fall for Sheber, a defenceless, innocent, helpless loved family dog. HOW CRUEL. HOW UNBELIEVABLY CRUEL. ... more
- Carole Wynne on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Hope they get caught soon let's all see what the cowards look like. I am so angry my heart breaks for the family . more
Kath & Kimberella
If you like a bit of low-culture comedy, there’s no lower on Australian TV than those Foxy Morons from Fountain Lakes, Kath & Kim.
It was one of the best Aussie TV show’s ever; an affectionate ode to crass Australians and a clever mocking of high society. Now they finally get their own big screen movie.
Kath (Jane Turner) and her whiney daughter Kim (Gina Riley) win a trip to “Papiloma” Italy. With Sharon in tow (Magda Szubanski), the Foxy Ladies leave Fountain Lakes for the mecca of High Society.
Needless to say, it goes to their heads while visiting a historic castle and the bankrupt King (Rob Sitch) mistakes them for wealthy and schemes to seduce Kath out of her riches.
For a while, they live a charmed fairytale life and get pampered in Papiloma. Sharon falls for the King's scheming acolyte (Richard E Grant), while the King's son fancies Kim. But when Kath's husband Kel (Glenn Robbins) sees them on TV, he flies over — like a knight in shining armour — to win Kath back.
Amid the hype of seeing Kath & Kim back and on the big screen, it seems everyone has forgotten that IT’S A BIT LATE PEOPLE! Kath & Kim finished its four-season run in 2007. It should have ended with a movie. So it really seems five years too late, like it’s run its race, and feels awkward to welcome it back.
That said, it is good to have the bogun duo back and getting their due on the big screen. And the film works best early on, in Fountain Lakes, as we get reacquainted with all the daggy characters. It’s cheerful, funny and fast paced – and you go with it.
But that goodwill soon fizzles out, as the formula that made a great half-hour sitcom doesn’t work so when it’s stretched out to 90 minutes.
A lot of critics complained that the girls should have never gone to Italy; why take it out of Fountain Lakes and all the crazy characters there? But I get that. As I said earlier, these are low-brow girls trying to be high-brow and thinking they are. So plonking them in the high-culture of European royalty is a great way to give them that fairytale come true.
Yet the characters that replace the Fountain Lakes favourites — the Italian royalty — are dreadfully unfunny. Rob Sitch plays the King in a bad wig with heavy eye-liner. He’s like something out of a bad Mills & Boon book. And why do they make Grant speak in rhyming couplets? Weird and unfunny!
The production values are really low too. There’s bad lighting, clunky editing and garish costumes and make-up. It almost plays like a Carry On movie, and as one critic said, “this isn’t comedy – it’s horror!”
But there are some funny moments. Kim sings “My Humps” on the harpsichord, Kel (Robbins) gets naked on the plane, Frank Woodley turns up to fine effect and even Dame Edna makes a bizarre cameo.
But these moments are too few and far between when stretched out to movie length. Indeed, their 2005 tele-film Da Kath & Kim Code is much better than this.
SCORE: 4 / 10