- Bill to ban cigarette sales
- Free but monitored
- Man arrested in Melbourne raids
- Pointlessly poignant.
- Pain program scrapped
- Big business's big tax breaks
- Too expensive to fix?
- From asylum to surgeon
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Male RN on Show exhibit in poor taste? If people think its funny, its only because you are either so ignorant or innocent of what mental health really is.Alot of ... more
- Denise on "She has no idea" The media are trying to the same thing they did on Pauline Hanson. Run her out. You watch. Media is controlled by ... more
- Diana on Debt drop not enough State has billion dollar interest debt annually? Troy Buswell stated that years ago, not long after taking office? What's ... more
- Vlad on From the other side Good God, Is EVERYTHING becoming corrupt these days? Where will it end?Shamed that this bloke who sounds like an Aussie, and ... more
- Dellas on "She has no idea" Tell me, "tessata", was Hitler a Christian? Was Churchill?Where exactly is Dresden?Or Israel?And what was that ... more
- Leonard Pickel on Show exhibit in poor taste? "Poke them with sticks"? That is the problem when you vilify something that is not even open to the public yet. You have no ... more
- Dellas on Show exhibit in poor taste? What precious creatures are little Joe and Danielle.Unless they have been at the pointy end (so to say) of the "Mental ... more
- tessata on Not happy here? Then leave NOT ALL CHRISTIANS ARE CATHOLICS DALLAS SO WHY BRING THEM INTO IT.THE POPE AND NUNS DO NOT FEEL THE NEED TO HIDE THEIR FACES ... more
- Danny O'Dea on Priddis the pride of WA YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! more
- Jurg Thommen on Road revenue being misused I got flashed in street without any speed limit signs doing 60 in a (supposed) 50 zone. Turned from a marked 60 road into ... more
- Joe Calleja on Show exhibit in poor taste? This is an example of how mental health remains stigmatized in the community. The Royal Show organizers are the people who ... more
- Danielle McCarney on Show exhibit in poor taste? It sounds like the exact kind of awful demonising of mental illness that mental health workers and allies have been trying ... more
- MERRIL ROBERTSON on Insensitive, silly or plain stupid? Get over it.!!!!!!! They were dressed as the Williams sisters and they are BLACK!!!!!!! If they didn't colour themselves, ... more
- Tracey on Insensitive, silly or plain stupid? Too many politically correct people.Who cares really?? When guys get dressed up as women should they be offended? ... more
- Dellas on Show exhibit in poor taste? How about telling the doctors, nurses, "Mental Health" experts, hospitals and associated "stake holders" to stop ... more
- Dellas on Show exhibit in poor taste? "Tisk, tisk", I say.Since when did the so-called psychologically healthy ever STOP poking sticks (literally and ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Priddis the pride of WA Lissy & I say well deserved win for Priddis last night. I picked that he would win it. more
- tessata on "She has no idea" AS gary says Chistians DONT accept the violence in the OLD testament, but the thing is muslims DO accept the OLD ways of ... more
- tessata on "She has no idea" dr aly is yet another interlectual expert that doesnt live in the real world. Another muslim coverup. Yes Muslims are a ... more
- Abdullah on "She has no idea" The poor women, she should have kept her mouth shut.she does not know what she is talking about.Abdullah more
Jill Meagher: Police latest
RAW VISION: CCTV footage of Jill Meagher and passers-by police wish to speak to:
UPDATE - 12:00PM: Victoria Police say there are four people they wish to speak to urgently regarding the Jill Meagher disappearance as they release CCTV images of her moments before her disappearance.
Police said the footage shows Jill outside the Duchess Boutique on 517 Sydney Road in Brunswick at approximately 1:10am on Saturday morning.
VIDEO: CCTV footage of Jill Meagher and four people police wish to speak to:
Earlier this morning, Sly of the Underworld revealed there was a ‘mystery man’ police had identified in the CCTV footage in the same frame as Jill Meagher.
Anyone who knows any of the people pictured in this footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or www.crimestoppers.com.au immediately.
UPDATE - 8:30AM: Sly of the Underworld has revealed on the 3AW Breakfast program that Police have discovered a 'mystery man' in the CCTV footage of Jill Meagher supplied to the police by a Sydney Road boutique.
"What they have found is the image of a mystery man in the footage of Jill Meagher, the CCTV," Sly told Ross and John.
"And they are going through it virtually now, frame-by-frame.
"The question is, is this person just a random? Or is this person actually following her?"
Sly said the Police would be making a decision later this morning as to whether to release an image of the man captured in the CCTV footage. He suggested anyone that was in the area at the time the CCTV footage was captured, 1:41am, contact Police to get themselves verified.
Police have said the husband of Jill, Tom Meagher, has been nothing but cooperative and there is nothing unusual about searching the couple's apartment.
Sly of the Underworld backed up the Police's statement, saying it would be 'totally remiss' of Police if they did not start the examination of the case at the beginning before working further out.
"You start and you look at the husband. This is not anything to do with this particular man, this is how you do these particular jobs," he said.
"He has been nothing other than cooperative. His behaviour has been that of a desperately worried husband."
TUESDAY- 5:05PM: Homicide Squad detectives believe they have identified Jill Meagher on CCTV footage in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Police say CCTV footage shows Jill walking north in Sydney Road, Brunswick, just south of Hope Street at 1:41am.
Detective Inspector John Potter said the timing of the CCTV footage does not match with a previous assumption that Jill made a call to her brother from inside the bar.
"The mystery to the us at this point is the call to the brother was about 1:45am which is after this time (of the CCTV)," he said.
"And there were males in the background, or voices, or something in the background that the brother could hear.
"If there was something sinister happening at that point, presumably she wouldn’t be discussing the health of her dad."
Detective Inspector Potter said question marks still hang over the discovery Jill’s handbag which was not found in a laneway until Monday morning.
“The bag wasn’t sighted (during extensive searches on the Saturday), the bag was found by a local resident, that local resident hadn’t sighted the bag up until Monday morning, and by all accounts the bag was in relatively plain view," he said.
“That leads us to the possibility that the bag was put there early Monday or late Sunday night."
Police say all CCTV collected needs to be thoroughly analysed before detectives can make a determination on what images can be released publicly.
MAP: Corner of Sydney Road and Hope Street, Brunswick
TUESDAY - 1:00PM: Forensic police and are examining the apartment of Tom and Jill Meagher in Lux Way as Homicide detectives widen their search.
The mystery surrounding her whereabouts continues to deepen after police revealed they are investigating whether her handbag had been planted in a nearby laneway after officers had searched the area over the weekend. It was discovered by a member of the public yesterday morning.
It's understood Homicide detectives are again speaking to her husband Tom who has been considered a witness in their investigation.
TUESDAY - 9:00AM: The Homicide Squad's Detective Inspector John Potter has made an appeal for any people who were at Sydney Road's Bar Etiquette - the last place Jill Meagher was seen before her disappearance - after midnight in the early hours of Saturday morning, to contact Crime Stoppers.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Detective Inspector John Potter said Crime Stoppers had received in excess of 60 calls with information pertaining to Jill's disappearance, and they were encouraging more.
The Detective Inspector said given the fact her bank account hadn't been accessed and her mobile phone could not be located meant the Homicide Squad was fearing for the worst.
There is still conjecture over where Jill was when she made a phone call to her brother in Perth at approximately 1:45am on Saturday, with Police believing she made the call while still at Bar Etiquette.
Detective Inspector John Potter said they had not been able to identify where her phone currently is.
On the Facebook page created to help find Jill, a number of women have made claims of feeling threatened by a car following them near where she disappeared.
Detective Inspector John Potter said they are now investigating the claims, but urged any person feeling threatened at any stage to contact 000 (triple zero) immediately.
Associate Editor of the Herald Sun Andrew Rule told 3AW Breakfast there was 'no doubt' the Homicide Squad were thinking Jill had met with foul play.
"Every hour that goes past makes it more likely," he said.
"She's walked through a patch of Brunswick which I wouldn't want any relative of mine walking through it at that time of night."
MONDAY: On Monday morning, Neil Mitchell confirmed the Victoria Police Homicide Squad had been called in to investigate Jill's disappearance.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Homicide Squad Detective Inspector John Potter said a handbag was found in a laneway off Hope Street. The bag contained Jill's identification.
"We always say in these circumstances, we hope for the best but unfortunately we expect the worst often," Detective Inspector John Potter said. "That's why we've become involved."
Jill Meagher's mother, Edith McKeon, has told The Age her daughter called her brother before she vanished. It's believed they were discussing the condition of their ill father.
WATCH: Edith McKean speaks with Fairfax Media:
Edith McKeon said her son, Michael, tried to call his sister back but the call went straight to voicemail.
A pair of missing shoes has been found this afternoon near Victoria Street and Ovens Street in Brunswick, however Homicide detectives don't believe they belonged to Jill Meagher.
Detective Inspector John Potter said the distance between Bar Etiquette, where she had been drinking with fellow ABC Radio employees, was approximately 700m from her home. He said preliminary enquiries suggested Jill's bank cards had not been used.
"We take on these cases of a suspicious nature where a person goes missing where there is a possibility they may have met with foul play," he said.
"We don't know that at this point, and we always hope that we can find her safe and well, but at this stage she hasn't responded to any of the media reports over the weekend, she hasn't contacted her husband, and he's (hasn't) been able to contact her by her mobile phone."
Earlier this morning, callers to 3AW Breakfast reported police activity in the area, prompting Police to set up a crime scene along a 200m stretch of Hope Street.
Police cordoned off Hope Street, Brunswick. (Photo: Yvette Gray)
The family of Jill Meagher, 29, are appealing for help to find her after she was last seen leaving Bar Etiquette on Sydney Road after some informal after-work drinks at around 1:30am on Saturday morning. She insisted on walking the short distance home alone, and hasn't been seen since.
A Facebook page has been set up to help locate Jill.
MAP: Location of the area Police have cordoned off to investigate Jill Meagher's disappearance:
The husband of missing Irish woman Jill Meagher says she was in high spirits on the night she vanished in Brunswick twitter.com/yvettegray3AW/…— Yvette Gray (@yvettegray3AW) September 23, 2012
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Jill's husband Tom Meagher said the walk home from the bar to their home was between five to 10 minutes, and he had rung her mobile non-stop from around 2:00am when she had failed to return home. The mobile phone is now switched off.
Tom Meagher said she had left her purse at home on Friday, and only had her savings account card with her.
Jill Meagher. (Photo: Facebook)
Jill is described as being of a fair complexion, 165 cm tall, slim build, long curly black hair and brown eyes.
She was wearing a blue dress, black jacket, black patterned stockings and high heels.
Police say the disappearance is out of character, and investigators are in the process of determining whether the circumstances are suspicious.
LISTEN: Tom Meagher speaks with 3AW Breakfast: