- Insensitive, silly or plain stupid?
- Show exhibit in poor taste?
- A toll on every road
- Bakers worried over cheap bread
- Priddis the pride of WA
- Persistence paid off for Docker
- Pop-up rip-off
- "She has no idea"
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- tessata on Not happy here? Then leave BAN THE BURQA LIKE SOME COUNTRIES HAVE BECAUSE WE DO NOT KNOW WHO OR WHAT IS UNDER THAT GARMENT AND IT HAS BEEN USED BEFORE ... more
- shailesh on Terror Australis. Our new world The most dangerous aspect of any terror outfit is there "sleeper cell". They remain part of society and get activated at the ... more
- Michael on Is this sticker offensive? Society in Perth metro area haved to wake up, that it has changed dramaticly in the last 10 years it has so many different ... more
- Anne Pratt on Is this sticker offensive? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we have allowed people to do what they like when it comes to their opinions and ... more
- Neil on Your say: The AFL is sick Agree 100% Joe. Silly decision, Aussie rules is a great game but without a doubt has the silliest rules, inconsistent rules ... more
- Shailesh on Is this sticker offensive? yes, it is offensive and sad.I hope people will also one day notice stickers that says "love it or leave Australia". We need ... more
- Marty on Is this sticker offensive? Why protect this moron by hiding their number plate? By law, a person has no expectation of or right to privacy whilst in ... more
- Joe on Your say: The AFL is sick I dont like the alignment. It has given an unfair advantage to EP and PT in terms of coaches,resources and players. Butler ... more
- Dellas on Forrest review revealed Mr Forrest is correct.Regardless of Aboriginality, ethnicity, colour, class, breed or economic status, Government Programs ... more
- Mark Miolin on Time up for Hird, Buckley and Malthouse How can we even be talking about equalisation while there are 9 teams in melbourne - 1 per 520 000 vs 1 per 950 000 in Perth ... more
- Nat on Breast flash investigated I can't believe your even listening to Bart! I've seen the footage and you can't see any girl or her breasts or hear ... more
- Diddyspotter on Buswell quits Yes, certainly a wasted talent, however Troy clearly has alcoholic tendencies, so unless he admits this and addresses, he ... more
- NEIL on Moments from death IT IS SIMPLE I DRIVE THE ROADS ALL DAY THERE IS NOT ENOUGH VISUAL POLICE ON THE ROAD IN THE OLD DAYS EVERY 3RD CAR WAS THE ... more
- Annabelle on Breast flash investigated Aha, what a loser, looks like a thinly veiled attempt for some weirdo to share details with a girl he crept on at a crummy ... more
- Mark on Buswell brilliant at hiding his illness He should have stood down immediately after the crash.Because Barnett didn't fire him I will vote him out in disgust. more
- Laurie on Buswell quits What a tragic waste of talent. I feel total empathy for him. He, like all of us, had his flaws, and he has paid the price.I ... more
- Dellas on Banned from ANZAC parade Ask the Mounted Police to have a presence at your Anzac Parade, Albany.Not all horses, or courses, deal with crowds well.And ... more
- Brian Bell on Anger at Comeagain placement Surely by now these morons must realise there is NO WHERE safe to place this bloke except for behind bars. more
- Laurie on Banned from ANZAC parade Does that mean that WA Police should not use their horses to attend riots, parades or on patrol, because someone may slip on ... more
- Greig on Clive says Sorry Palmer got carried away and his comments where undiplomatic. But should we really Trust the Chinese as much as the ... more
Jill Meagher: Police latest
RAW VISION: CCTV footage of Jill Meagher and passers-by police wish to speak to:
UPDATE - 12:00PM: Victoria Police say there are four people they wish to speak to urgently regarding the Jill Meagher disappearance as they release CCTV images of her moments before her disappearance.
Police said the footage shows Jill outside the Duchess Boutique on 517 Sydney Road in Brunswick at approximately 1:10am on Saturday morning.
VIDEO: CCTV footage of Jill Meagher and four people police wish to speak to:
Earlier this morning, Sly of the Underworld revealed there was a ‘mystery man’ police had identified in the CCTV footage in the same frame as Jill Meagher.
Anyone who knows any of the people pictured in this footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or www.crimestoppers.com.au immediately.
UPDATE - 8:30AM: Sly of the Underworld has revealed on the 3AW Breakfast program that Police have discovered a 'mystery man' in the CCTV footage of Jill Meagher supplied to the police by a Sydney Road boutique.
"What they have found is the image of a mystery man in the footage of Jill Meagher, the CCTV," Sly told Ross and John.
"And they are going through it virtually now, frame-by-frame.
"The question is, is this person just a random? Or is this person actually following her?"
Sly said the Police would be making a decision later this morning as to whether to release an image of the man captured in the CCTV footage. He suggested anyone that was in the area at the time the CCTV footage was captured, 1:41am, contact Police to get themselves verified.
Police have said the husband of Jill, Tom Meagher, has been nothing but cooperative and there is nothing unusual about searching the couple's apartment.
Sly of the Underworld backed up the Police's statement, saying it would be 'totally remiss' of Police if they did not start the examination of the case at the beginning before working further out.
"You start and you look at the husband. This is not anything to do with this particular man, this is how you do these particular jobs," he said.
"He has been nothing other than cooperative. His behaviour has been that of a desperately worried husband."
TUESDAY- 5:05PM: Homicide Squad detectives believe they have identified Jill Meagher on CCTV footage in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Police say CCTV footage shows Jill walking north in Sydney Road, Brunswick, just south of Hope Street at 1:41am.
Detective Inspector John Potter said the timing of the CCTV footage does not match with a previous assumption that Jill made a call to her brother from inside the bar.
"The mystery to the us at this point is the call to the brother was about 1:45am which is after this time (of the CCTV)," he said.
"And there were males in the background, or voices, or something in the background that the brother could hear.
"If there was something sinister happening at that point, presumably she wouldn’t be discussing the health of her dad."
Detective Inspector Potter said question marks still hang over the discovery Jill’s handbag which was not found in a laneway until Monday morning.
“The bag wasn’t sighted (during extensive searches on the Saturday), the bag was found by a local resident, that local resident hadn’t sighted the bag up until Monday morning, and by all accounts the bag was in relatively plain view," he said.
“That leads us to the possibility that the bag was put there early Monday or late Sunday night."
Police say all CCTV collected needs to be thoroughly analysed before detectives can make a determination on what images can be released publicly.
MAP: Corner of Sydney Road and Hope Street, Brunswick
TUESDAY - 1:00PM: Forensic police and are examining the apartment of Tom and Jill Meagher in Lux Way as Homicide detectives widen their search.
The mystery surrounding her whereabouts continues to deepen after police revealed they are investigating whether her handbag had been planted in a nearby laneway after officers had searched the area over the weekend. It was discovered by a member of the public yesterday morning.
It's understood Homicide detectives are again speaking to her husband Tom who has been considered a witness in their investigation.
TUESDAY - 9:00AM: The Homicide Squad's Detective Inspector John Potter has made an appeal for any people who were at Sydney Road's Bar Etiquette - the last place Jill Meagher was seen before her disappearance - after midnight in the early hours of Saturday morning, to contact Crime Stoppers.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Detective Inspector John Potter said Crime Stoppers had received in excess of 60 calls with information pertaining to Jill's disappearance, and they were encouraging more.
The Detective Inspector said given the fact her bank account hadn't been accessed and her mobile phone could not be located meant the Homicide Squad was fearing for the worst.
There is still conjecture over where Jill was when she made a phone call to her brother in Perth at approximately 1:45am on Saturday, with Police believing she made the call while still at Bar Etiquette.
Detective Inspector John Potter said they had not been able to identify where her phone currently is.
On the Facebook page created to help find Jill, a number of women have made claims of feeling threatened by a car following them near where she disappeared.
Detective Inspector John Potter said they are now investigating the claims, but urged any person feeling threatened at any stage to contact 000 (triple zero) immediately.
Associate Editor of the Herald Sun Andrew Rule told 3AW Breakfast there was 'no doubt' the Homicide Squad were thinking Jill had met with foul play.
"Every hour that goes past makes it more likely," he said.
"She's walked through a patch of Brunswick which I wouldn't want any relative of mine walking through it at that time of night."
MONDAY: On Monday morning, Neil Mitchell confirmed the Victoria Police Homicide Squad had been called in to investigate Jill's disappearance.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Homicide Squad Detective Inspector John Potter said a handbag was found in a laneway off Hope Street. The bag contained Jill's identification.
"We always say in these circumstances, we hope for the best but unfortunately we expect the worst often," Detective Inspector John Potter said. "That's why we've become involved."
Jill Meagher's mother, Edith McKeon, has told The Age her daughter called her brother before she vanished. It's believed they were discussing the condition of their ill father.
WATCH: Edith McKean speaks with Fairfax Media:
Edith McKeon said her son, Michael, tried to call his sister back but the call went straight to voicemail.
A pair of missing shoes has been found this afternoon near Victoria Street and Ovens Street in Brunswick, however Homicide detectives don't believe they belonged to Jill Meagher.
Detective Inspector John Potter said the distance between Bar Etiquette, where she had been drinking with fellow ABC Radio employees, was approximately 700m from her home. He said preliminary enquiries suggested Jill's bank cards had not been used.
"We take on these cases of a suspicious nature where a person goes missing where there is a possibility they may have met with foul play," he said.
"We don't know that at this point, and we always hope that we can find her safe and well, but at this stage she hasn't responded to any of the media reports over the weekend, she hasn't contacted her husband, and he's (hasn't) been able to contact her by her mobile phone."
Earlier this morning, callers to 3AW Breakfast reported police activity in the area, prompting Police to set up a crime scene along a 200m stretch of Hope Street.
Police cordoned off Hope Street, Brunswick. (Photo: Yvette Gray)
The family of Jill Meagher, 29, are appealing for help to find her after she was last seen leaving Bar Etiquette on Sydney Road after some informal after-work drinks at around 1:30am on Saturday morning. She insisted on walking the short distance home alone, and hasn't been seen since.
A Facebook page has been set up to help locate Jill.
MAP: Location of the area Police have cordoned off to investigate Jill Meagher's disappearance:
The husband of missing Irish woman Jill Meagher says she was in high spirits on the night she vanished in Brunswick twitter.com/yvettegray3AW/…— Yvette Gray (@yvettegray3AW) September 23, 2012
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Jill's husband Tom Meagher said the walk home from the bar to their home was between five to 10 minutes, and he had rung her mobile non-stop from around 2:00am when she had failed to return home. The mobile phone is now switched off.
Tom Meagher said she had left her purse at home on Friday, and only had her savings account card with her.
Jill Meagher. (Photo: Facebook)
Jill is described as being of a fair complexion, 165 cm tall, slim build, long curly black hair and brown eyes.
She was wearing a blue dress, black jacket, black patterned stockings and high heels.
Police say the disappearance is out of character, and investigators are in the process of determining whether the circumstances are suspicious.
LISTEN: Tom Meagher speaks with 3AW Breakfast: