- Nat's back for Telethon
- Aussies to join Ebola fight
- Sanderson opens up after sacking
- Are we past Love Thy Neighbour?
- Wishing Windies well
- 3000 Perth people left council-less
- Hayley Dodd's Garden
- Angry: SAf talkback reacts
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- John Forbes on Paul Murray Retires Hi PaulGee Whiz I'm going to miss you informative show. more
- Dellas on Gough Whitlam dead at 98 What great social change has Colin Barnett ever made?Did he stop conscription? Did he bring in support for single ... more
- Flash on Gough Whitlam dead at 98 Mr Barnetts comments are of no relevance. If Mr Barnett had just 5% of Mr Whitlam's abilities the state of WA would be 500% ... more
- colin on Gough Whitlam dead at 98 Mr barnetts comments ,shows all w.a. what sort of person he is ,history will show Mr Whitlamas the game changer in our ... more
- Carol on Muslims: Barnett's gone missing I am disgusted at the fact that they are worried and now bitching to the gov for more special privileges. They do not ... more
- Kevin on Paul Murray Retires Good luck Paul. By far 6PR's most politically astute presenter, you will be a loss. I hope the MD can find a top class ... more
- sandy kersey on Paul Murray Retires I will miss you Paul Best wishes to you and your wife !! Enjoy more
- Conservative John on Paul Murray Retires Enjoy your travel Paul. I hope 882 don't do their normal thing and replace you with some old hack, they need new blood. more
- Dellas on Watermelon prices set to skyrocket Watermelons and rock melons used to be grown in the Swan Valley.There was such a glut that, at the end of some seasons they ... more
- Dellas on Game show sexism? Re-phrase the question and then it wouldn't be sexist; ie, "Name something Men think is a woman's job"?Or..."name something ... more
- Pepita on Paul Murray Retires A massive loss to journalism in WA, Paul will leave big shoes to fill. Would be nice to see a woman take drive though to ... more
- Graham on Paul Murray Retires Hi PaulWhy are you waiting till end of 2014 ?What are the labor Party going to do without you marketing them ? more
- Dellas on Abbey's Project That "Abbey" gave consent to the Family Law Court to have contact with her father speaks tellingly about the nature of child ... more
- Dellas on PM's adviser backs burqa ban I hate to point out the obvious typo, Paul, but isn't Peta's surname spelt Cretin? more
- Walter on Crying poor after the boom How is it Premier Barnett uses the argument that the increased volume output of iron ore will compensate for fall in its ... more
- Luke Reymond on Bali weddings in tatters Sadly Paul and Catherine Williams of Bali D'Luxe weddings conned my little sister out of $25,000 and on the day the ... more
- troy on Paul Murray Retires not happy Paul, u r a person for the people ,. god bless more
- Mr Cranky on Paul Murray Retires Paul,I haven't always agreed with you,informative and precise comes to mind with your presentation.Time to enjoy life,all ... more
- Brian Whitby on Paul Murray Retires Sorry to hear the news that you are retiring Paul. We have had or difference of opinion on a few occasions but you I listen ... more
- Allan Bowes on Paul Murray Retires I'd like to wish Paul all the best for the future.Thoroughly enjoyed your shows in the morning and afternoon.You will be ... more
Immigration tearing family apart
Howard Sattler spoke to Toni Hughes whose 23-year-old son is being sent back to the UK because he is not eligible to apply for a dependent visa event thought his mother is an Australian resident. They say because he left school to join the UK military and serve in Afghanistan and Iraq he is financially independent. James described to Howard how his best mate died in front of him while he was on tour in Afghanistan.
Below is the audio of Howard's interview with Toni Hughes from Monday.
Dellas the whole point is the this and why people are getting angry at this whole situation is this. The government are letting hundrends of non english speaking people into Australia (ILLEGAL BOAT IMMAGRANTS) as i like to call them into our country ILLEGALLY. TONY hughes is going to be made to leave Perth in which his Family live here he has a job waiting for him. He speaks Full English and has fought for Britain along side Australia in iraq and Afganistan watch his friends die. BUT THE GOVERNMENT CAN GET OFF kicking him back to the uk on the terms of his education levels arent high enough WHAT A CROCK OF shit. He went to school till he was 16 sat English and Maths in the Army and has a number of schools that he has learnt along the way. ITS NOT TO DO WITH LEGISLATION its to do with god damn prinicipal. LET THE BOY STAY HE WILL MAKE A FANTASTIC asset to our country alot better than the numerous people coming here illegally. Kind regard TASH from ThornlieNatasha Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:26 PM
I am an Australian Citizenship, but because my parents decided to have 3 children, they cannot come and live in Australia. My two brothers live in UK. The Australian law says that you have to have 2/3 of your children living here, otherwise you can't come. They both would be very financially secure here, be able to buy a home and look after themselves without any assistance from the state or myself. I have lived most of my life parted by circumstances from my parents and as they grow older, I know time is running out and I would love to have them here and to see their grandchildren grow. Also they love Australia. My mother in law is allowed to come and live here, because she only has one living child here in Australia. It just seems unfair. When as you said people can get on a boat and just come.Bev Friday 10 August, 2012 - 1:03 PM
"And by the way, I am sick to death of hearing people from Britain speak as though they, because of ancestral links, have a right over those from other countries, to automatic egress into Australia."
At least you are aware of the ancstral links unlike a minor UK government official a few years ago who questioned why special visas are available for Australian nationals wishing to work or settle in Britain.
However, this James Shaw case does seem to be a result of him just applying for the wrong visa. Nobody's fault but his own (and his mum.)Gloom Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:20 AM
What has gone wrong with this country??This young man has done more than most to prove to immigration that he is a worthy candidate to be allowed to stay in this country no matter what visa he has applied under!I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
The fact is, whether he is British or Australian,without men and woman like this where might we be??,he is part of the Commonwealth and has done more than most at such an early age!!
I hope Howard keeps this story alive and we all support this young man and his family.This has nothing to do with Ancestral links!Without men and women like this guy we might not be having this discussion!!
Behind you a 100% mate.Lets hope they see sense and you get the break you deserve!!
Aw the best to yerself and yer mum.Scot Thursday 9 August, 2012 - 10:45 PM
How can a British citizen with papers and a Passport be denied access to citizenship in Australia in favour of someone who destroyed all their papers upon arriving in Australian waters, and claiming to be refugees. This man has a mother living here who is a citizen. Let this honest man in, I am sure he will never be on the dole like many of the boat people are.averill Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 11:45 PM
It seems to me that you cant even mention Refugees anymore as it is getting politically wrong to mention it. I feel sorry for Tony Hughes as I think he sounds like a decent guy who just wants to make a decent life for himself in Australia.
My hairdresser had to pay $100.000 to come hear and they never got any handouts they did it all by themselves and yet there are people who come here on those little boats whoe paid $11000 and when they get here they are offered all the free goodies. Where is the justice in this world.penny Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 3:36 PM