- Breast flash investigated
- Heyyyy! It's the Fonzie Fetus
- Tempers flair in GST stand-off
- McGowan backs medical marijuana
- 'Criminal hypocrisy'
- MC's offensive rant at school quiz night
- Will price rise end your habit?
- Chisel's back!
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Dellas on Banned from ANZAC parade Ask the Mounted Police to have a presence at your Anzac Parade, Albany.Not all horses, or courses, deal with crowds well.And ... more
- Brian Bell on Anger at Comeagain placement Surely by now these morons must realise there is NO WHERE safe to place this bloke except for behind bars. more
- Laurie on Banned from ANZAC parade Does that mean that WA Police should not use their horses to attend riots, parades or on patrol, because someone may slip on ... more
- Greig on Clive says Sorry Palmer got carried away and his comments where undiplomatic. But should we really Trust the Chinese as much as the ... more
- Dellas on Woof woof is this the end? I went to the greyhound races once in the seventies.After waiting an hour, a roar from the crowd alerted me that something ... more
- Peter on Is it time for full deregulation? PaulHas anyone mentioned surge pricing regards Uber. The net is fullof stories of prices being 2x or 3x the quote. The ... more
- Peter Nel on On the lamb in Scarborough These animals look like goats,dressed in sheep clothing. more
- Jacky on On the lamb in Scarborough They're sheep, I haven't seen a goat with a long tail more
- justsomeguy,youknow on Is it time for full deregulation? If Sunday trading has been such a runaway success as it is why the need to change pay rates.Rhetorical question.Because it's ... more
- Carole Wynne on Foley murder raises ransom questions We should never pay ransom money no matter what terrorist are cowardly scum and giving them money will just encourage them ... more
- Carole Wynne on 'It's like child abuse': AMA Immunisation is personal choice not child abuse I had my kids immunised but I can understand why some parents don't and ... more
- Dellas on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal In what arena of war and conflict have any of your sensitive male bloggers fought?And "Amanda" can bare her breasts and her ... more
- alex p on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal perhaps we should only recruit the SAS from the pure of heart, like priests and choir boys. I know who I would turn to in an ... more
- Kerry on Woof woof is this the end? I think a more appropriate headline would have read: Are the greyhounds dog gone? more
- James Redden on No friction between Palmer and Wang Why does 6pr constantly use the pseydenoum "Sir Rumor" every time they are fed lies from the liberal party. The bias is ... more
- Matthew on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal @ Jess get over it - these are trained killers, yes we train them to kill not to cuddle.Let the boys blow off some steam, ... more
- Helen Stephenson on Banned from ANZAC parade Political Correctness Gone Mad. Horses Were An Integral Part Of This Campaign And ShouldBe Included In The Ceremony. more
- Chris on 'I have to keep my distance' Dear Carl, I absolutely feel the pain you are going through as a parent. I for one also have had to deal with the pain and ... more
- Dellas on Job ads: Indigenous only What's to know about Aboriginal or Indigenous employment? It's been in existence since 1984.Just ask Andrew Forrest's view ... more
- Dellas on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal Yeah, right, Amanda, when these men go fight the good fight in fundamentalist Islamic countries, what do they yell at the ... more
Immigration tearing family apart
Howard Sattler spoke to Toni Hughes whose 23-year-old son is being sent back to the UK because he is not eligible to apply for a dependent visa event thought his mother is an Australian resident. They say because he left school to join the UK military and serve in Afghanistan and Iraq he is financially independent. James described to Howard how his best mate died in front of him while he was on tour in Afghanistan.
Below is the audio of Howard's interview with Toni Hughes from Monday.
Dellas the whole point is the this and why people are getting angry at this whole situation is this. The government are letting hundrends of non english speaking people into Australia (ILLEGAL BOAT IMMAGRANTS) as i like to call them into our country ILLEGALLY. TONY hughes is going to be made to leave Perth in which his Family live here he has a job waiting for him. He speaks Full English and has fought for Britain along side Australia in iraq and Afganistan watch his friends die. BUT THE GOVERNMENT CAN GET OFF kicking him back to the uk on the terms of his education levels arent high enough WHAT A CROCK OF shit. He went to school till he was 16 sat English and Maths in the Army and has a number of schools that he has learnt along the way. ITS NOT TO DO WITH LEGISLATION its to do with god damn prinicipal. LET THE BOY STAY HE WILL MAKE A FANTASTIC asset to our country alot better than the numerous people coming here illegally. Kind regard TASH from ThornlieNatasha Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:26 PM
I am an Australian Citizenship, but because my parents decided to have 3 children, they cannot come and live in Australia. My two brothers live in UK. The Australian law says that you have to have 2/3 of your children living here, otherwise you can't come. They both would be very financially secure here, be able to buy a home and look after themselves without any assistance from the state or myself. I have lived most of my life parted by circumstances from my parents and as they grow older, I know time is running out and I would love to have them here and to see their grandchildren grow. Also they love Australia. My mother in law is allowed to come and live here, because she only has one living child here in Australia. It just seems unfair. When as you said people can get on a boat and just come.Bev Friday 10 August, 2012 - 1:03 PM
"And by the way, I am sick to death of hearing people from Britain speak as though they, because of ancestral links, have a right over those from other countries, to automatic egress into Australia."
At least you are aware of the ancstral links unlike a minor UK government official a few years ago who questioned why special visas are available for Australian nationals wishing to work or settle in Britain.
However, this James Shaw case does seem to be a result of him just applying for the wrong visa. Nobody's fault but his own (and his mum.)Gloom Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:20 AM
What has gone wrong with this country??This young man has done more than most to prove to immigration that he is a worthy candidate to be allowed to stay in this country no matter what visa he has applied under!I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
The fact is, whether he is British or Australian,without men and woman like this where might we be??,he is part of the Commonwealth and has done more than most at such an early age!!
I hope Howard keeps this story alive and we all support this young man and his family.This has nothing to do with Ancestral links!Without men and women like this guy we might not be having this discussion!!
Behind you a 100% mate.Lets hope they see sense and you get the break you deserve!!
Aw the best to yerself and yer mum.Scot Thursday 9 August, 2012 - 10:45 PM
How can a British citizen with papers and a Passport be denied access to citizenship in Australia in favour of someone who destroyed all their papers upon arriving in Australian waters, and claiming to be refugees. This man has a mother living here who is a citizen. Let this honest man in, I am sure he will never be on the dole like many of the boat people are.averill Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 11:45 PM
It seems to me that you cant even mention Refugees anymore as it is getting politically wrong to mention it. I feel sorry for Tony Hughes as I think he sounds like a decent guy who just wants to make a decent life for himself in Australia.
My hairdresser had to pay $100.000 to come hear and they never got any handouts they did it all by themselves and yet there are people who come here on those little boats whoe paid $11000 and when they get here they are offered all the free goodies. Where is the justice in this world.penny Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 3:36 PM