- Video: Premier tips the bucket
- Religions unite against extremists
- Foley murder raises ransom questions
- Koala saved with CPR
- FIFO suicide investigation
- Victim furious at flasher sentence
- What the hell is Bro-ga
- 'It's like child abuse': AMA
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kerry on Woof woof is this the end? I think a more appropriate headline would have read: Are the greyhounds dog gone? more
- James Redden on No friction between Palmer and Wang Why does 6pr constantly use the pseydenoum "Sir Rumor" every time they are fed lies from the liberal party. The bias is ... more
- Matthew on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal @ Jess get over it - these are trained killers, yes we train them to kill not to cuddle.Let the boys blow off some steam, ... more
- Helen Stephenson on Banned from ANZAC parade Political Correctness Gone Mad. Horses Were An Integral Part Of This Campaign And ShouldBe Included In The Ceremony. more
- Chris on 'I have to keep my distance' Dear Carl, I absolutely feel the pain you are going through as a parent. I for one also have had to deal with the pain and ... more
- Dellas on Job ads: Indigenous only What's to know about Aboriginal or Indigenous employment? It's been in existence since 1984.Just ask Andrew Forrest's view ... more
- Dellas on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal Yeah, right, Amanda, when these men go fight the good fight in fundamentalist Islamic countries, what do they yell at the ... more
- Jess on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal I think it is disgraceful they have been able to do this in a work location. If they want skimpys or strippers they should ... more
- Lee on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal I don't have a problem with what SAS soldiers want to do in their downtime as long as it is legal, which Skimmpys are. ... more
- Chris on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal For God's sake, these soldiers are grown men and the barmaids are grown women doing the job of their own free will. Nobody's ... more
- Amanda on S.A.S in 'skimpy' scandal Good morning 6PR,In regards to the skimmpys being at the Swan Barracks, seriously this women complaining should get a ... more
- shailesh on Has Clive gone too far? India and China are one of the two biggest business partners of Australia. However, both the countries have faced public ... more
- Angela on Worry over radicals in Perth This is just crazy. Why is it that these young men of middle-eastern background more susceptible to being radicalized? These ... more
- Dellas on PMS is a man's fault. Apparently What is this "man" talking about?This creature who has never experienced "Men-archy" "Men"-suration, pregnancy or ... more
- Stuart on Cut welfare for home owners - Senator What garbage. This flies in the face of what generations of Australians have saved and worked for. The family home should be ... more
- Rod Tweddle on Cuts for WA seniors rebate Those changing the rules for seniors were perhaps not around before compulsory superannuation. A means test by all means, ... more
- Laurie on Robin Williams dead at 63 So sad. A tragic circumstance. Such a talented man. Will be greatly missed. Feel so sorry for his family. more
- Ben on Gammy's father's growing record This guy has made his bed, the point isn't if is fit to look after kids now, he ruined 4 human lives in unspeakable crimes, ... more
- Trish on Have your say on euthanasia We should all have a choice in how we die. I for one would not want to linger on in pain with no end in sight. more
- Trish on Cut welfare for home owners - Senator Well said Grant. more
Immigration tearing family apart
Howard Sattler spoke to Toni Hughes whose 23-year-old son is being sent back to the UK because he is not eligible to apply for a dependent visa event thought his mother is an Australian resident. They say because he left school to join the UK military and serve in Afghanistan and Iraq he is financially independent. James described to Howard how his best mate died in front of him while he was on tour in Afghanistan.
Below is the audio of Howard's interview with Toni Hughes from Monday.
Dellas the whole point is the this and why people are getting angry at this whole situation is this. The government are letting hundrends of non english speaking people into Australia (ILLEGAL BOAT IMMAGRANTS) as i like to call them into our country ILLEGALLY. TONY hughes is going to be made to leave Perth in which his Family live here he has a job waiting for him. He speaks Full English and has fought for Britain along side Australia in iraq and Afganistan watch his friends die. BUT THE GOVERNMENT CAN GET OFF kicking him back to the uk on the terms of his education levels arent high enough WHAT A CROCK OF shit. He went to school till he was 16 sat English and Maths in the Army and has a number of schools that he has learnt along the way. ITS NOT TO DO WITH LEGISLATION its to do with god damn prinicipal. LET THE BOY STAY HE WILL MAKE A FANTASTIC asset to our country alot better than the numerous people coming here illegally. Kind regard TASH from ThornlieNatasha Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:26 PM
I am an Australian Citizenship, but because my parents decided to have 3 children, they cannot come and live in Australia. My two brothers live in UK. The Australian law says that you have to have 2/3 of your children living here, otherwise you can't come. They both would be very financially secure here, be able to buy a home and look after themselves without any assistance from the state or myself. I have lived most of my life parted by circumstances from my parents and as they grow older, I know time is running out and I would love to have them here and to see their grandchildren grow. Also they love Australia. My mother in law is allowed to come and live here, because she only has one living child here in Australia. It just seems unfair. When as you said people can get on a boat and just come.Bev Friday 10 August, 2012 - 1:03 PM
"And by the way, I am sick to death of hearing people from Britain speak as though they, because of ancestral links, have a right over those from other countries, to automatic egress into Australia."
At least you are aware of the ancstral links unlike a minor UK government official a few years ago who questioned why special visas are available for Australian nationals wishing to work or settle in Britain.
However, this James Shaw case does seem to be a result of him just applying for the wrong visa. Nobody's fault but his own (and his mum.)Gloom Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:20 AM
What has gone wrong with this country??This young man has done more than most to prove to immigration that he is a worthy candidate to be allowed to stay in this country no matter what visa he has applied under!I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
The fact is, whether he is British or Australian,without men and woman like this where might we be??,he is part of the Commonwealth and has done more than most at such an early age!!
I hope Howard keeps this story alive and we all support this young man and his family.This has nothing to do with Ancestral links!Without men and women like this guy we might not be having this discussion!!
Behind you a 100% mate.Lets hope they see sense and you get the break you deserve!!
Aw the best to yerself and yer mum.Scot Thursday 9 August, 2012 - 10:45 PM
How can a British citizen with papers and a Passport be denied access to citizenship in Australia in favour of someone who destroyed all their papers upon arriving in Australian waters, and claiming to be refugees. This man has a mother living here who is a citizen. Let this honest man in, I am sure he will never be on the dole like many of the boat people are.averill Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 11:45 PM
It seems to me that you cant even mention Refugees anymore as it is getting politically wrong to mention it. I feel sorry for Tony Hughes as I think he sounds like a decent guy who just wants to make a decent life for himself in Australia.
My hairdresser had to pay $100.000 to come hear and they never got any handouts they did it all by themselves and yet there are people who come here on those little boats whoe paid $11000 and when they get here they are offered all the free goodies. Where is the justice in this world.penny Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 3:36 PM