- Smacked kids are happier kids
- The voice of British cricket
- Fake interpreter outrage
- 'Demetriou is a liar': Tania Hird
- It was cold and calculated
- Catch-and-kill "unnaceptable"
- Johnson's bouncer warning
- Holden out by 2017
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Diver on "Shark policy is a media stunt" I'm no do gooder. But why do we allow far more dangerous animals to run round in our parks (last night two big pit bulls ... more
- Diver on Catch-and-kill "unnaceptable" The thing that really annoys me about this policy is drumlines from quinns to warnboro - nearly 100km.1km offshore - THIS ... more
- James on Holden out by 2017 Let GMH go. they had plenty of time to change their products and there is no respect for them after having the electric car ... more
- James on "Shark policy is a media stunt" There are more whales about so with a ban on sharks, sharks follow whales what else killed the washed up whale carcases.I ... more
- Andrew on "Shark policy is a media stunt" Of course this is a publicity stunt...Barnett and Buswell have little else to hang their hats on, so what better way to get ... more
- wayne on Trouble streaming 6PR? this was working very good before the changes ,I cannot get anything now even on chrome 6PR 3AW 4BC more
- Tamara on Kill zones, drum lines but no cull Lets tag and monitor all predators from sharks to offenders of family violence. Make all predators wear tags to keep our ... more
- cagediving on Kill zones, drum lines but no cull lets do great white cage diving and shark feeding for tourism in the metro area. this tourism is very popular in south ... more
- Rob Wylde on Protesters urge 'no cull' policy There are over 300 comments on my FB page about the shark cull. Not one agrees.Is this government not listening again more
- Andrew on Granny mummies on the rise No surprise ....when you have a state government that has turned the thumbscrews on the populus and made the cost of living ... more
- Andrew on Kill zones, drum lines but no cull What a funny species we are....hundreds get killed on our roads every year and we don't bat a bloody eye lid because its ... more
- Chris on Kill zones, drum lines but no cull Yea lets chum the waters 1km from swimming beaches with drum lines and hope the fishos get them before they get a swimmer, ... more
- Steve on Mental health woes exposed Hi PaulIt's puzzling how the council of official visitors have failed to acknowledge the mistreatment of residents living ... more
- Lucy Blundell on Gonski. WA funding disappears Sorry but does your opposition education spokesperson actually have a brain? Last time I looked WA hadn't signed up to ... more
- Andrew on Flight attendants fear insecticide Maybe thats what is behind all our politicians broken promises, all the frequent flying has affected their brain cells. more
- Andrew on Prepare for the worst Q .....what plans has Colin Barnett or which ever minister is responsible put in place? My guess would be none as most plans ... more
- Tricia on Basil joins Breakfast in 2014 I am in love with Kent - please don't let him go !!!!!! more
- marilyn on Basil joins Breakfast in 2014 I love listening to millsy every morning and i am looking forward to Basil joining him,anyone who says Basil has no ... more
- Andrew on Our loss is Brisbane's win Is it any wonder this state is seen as backwards. Once again another case of Barnetts folly but then again we are talking ... more
- Dellas on The Life of Nelson Mandela Who deserves be Australia's representative at this face of freedom, Nelson Mandela's, funeral?No-one.We're too busy turning ... more
Immigration tearing family apart
Howard Sattler spoke to Toni Hughes whose 23-year-old son is being sent back to the UK because he is not eligible to apply for a dependent visa event thought his mother is an Australian resident. They say because he left school to join the UK military and serve in Afghanistan and Iraq he is financially independent. James described to Howard how his best mate died in front of him while he was on tour in Afghanistan.
Below is the audio of Howard's interview with Toni Hughes from Monday.
Dellas the whole point is the this and why people are getting angry at this whole situation is this. The government are letting hundrends of non english speaking people into Australia (ILLEGAL BOAT IMMAGRANTS) as i like to call them into our country ILLEGALLY. TONY hughes is going to be made to leave Perth in which his Family live here he has a job waiting for him. He speaks Full English and has fought for Britain along side Australia in iraq and Afganistan watch his friends die. BUT THE GOVERNMENT CAN GET OFF kicking him back to the uk on the terms of his education levels arent high enough WHAT A CROCK OF shit. He went to school till he was 16 sat English and Maths in the Army and has a number of schools that he has learnt along the way. ITS NOT TO DO WITH LEGISLATION its to do with god damn prinicipal. LET THE BOY STAY HE WILL MAKE A FANTASTIC asset to our country alot better than the numerous people coming here illegally. Kind regard TASH from ThornlieNatasha Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:26 PM
I am an Australian Citizenship, but because my parents decided to have 3 children, they cannot come and live in Australia. My two brothers live in UK. The Australian law says that you have to have 2/3 of your children living here, otherwise you can't come. They both would be very financially secure here, be able to buy a home and look after themselves without any assistance from the state or myself. I have lived most of my life parted by circumstances from my parents and as they grow older, I know time is running out and I would love to have them here and to see their grandchildren grow. Also they love Australia. My mother in law is allowed to come and live here, because she only has one living child here in Australia. It just seems unfair. When as you said people can get on a boat and just come.Bev Friday 10 August, 2012 - 1:03 PM
"And by the way, I am sick to death of hearing people from Britain speak as though they, because of ancestral links, have a right over those from other countries, to automatic egress into Australia."
At least you are aware of the ancstral links unlike a minor UK government official a few years ago who questioned why special visas are available for Australian nationals wishing to work or settle in Britain.
However, this James Shaw case does seem to be a result of him just applying for the wrong visa. Nobody's fault but his own (and his mum.)Gloom Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:20 AM
What has gone wrong with this country??This young man has done more than most to prove to immigration that he is a worthy candidate to be allowed to stay in this country no matter what visa he has applied under!I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
The fact is, whether he is British or Australian,without men and woman like this where might we be??,he is part of the Commonwealth and has done more than most at such an early age!!
I hope Howard keeps this story alive and we all support this young man and his family.This has nothing to do with Ancestral links!Without men and women like this guy we might not be having this discussion!!
Behind you a 100% mate.Lets hope they see sense and you get the break you deserve!!
Aw the best to yerself and yer mum.Scot Thursday 9 August, 2012 - 10:45 PM
How can a British citizen with papers and a Passport be denied access to citizenship in Australia in favour of someone who destroyed all their papers upon arriving in Australian waters, and claiming to be refugees. This man has a mother living here who is a citizen. Let this honest man in, I am sure he will never be on the dole like many of the boat people are.averill Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 11:45 PM
It seems to me that you cant even mention Refugees anymore as it is getting politically wrong to mention it. I feel sorry for Tony Hughes as I think he sounds like a decent guy who just wants to make a decent life for himself in Australia.
My hairdresser had to pay $100.000 to come hear and they never got any handouts they did it all by themselves and yet there are people who come here on those little boats whoe paid $11000 and when they get here they are offered all the free goodies. Where is the justice in this world.penny Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 3:36 PM