- Banksia Hill damaged
- National service for youth
- Simpson pulls Freo plug
- The barbaric bump is dead
- Possibility of more packages
- AHA want penalty rate changes
- How do you stop Sandilands
- Power's Liverpool weapon fires
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Diana on AHA want penalty rate changes Its a disgrace to bring up US wages in catering in comparison. $6.50/hr plus tips might go to $9? Very slick interview. Look ... more
- Dellas on Pratt concedes defeat Actually, I was going to go below the line to vote for Louise, but after looking at that ridiculous Ballot paper, I chose ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Pratt concedes defeat Time for Palmer United Party to takeover Labor completely and have all unions working for him and all all States including ... more
- Stuart Hardie on One text ended three young lives I think that texting while driving is insane when people can get killed I think that having a road safety campaign is a good ... more
- Andrew on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Paul, did you actually see what Sylia did. Regardless if he gave him concussion or not, he intentionally hit him in the ... more
- Paul on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Take your eagles jacket off Karl! more
- Jay on Where for art thou CCC? Unless it has the name Burke somewhere in the investigation then they are not interested, right? more
- Geoff Kay on Drop Nic Naitanui now Barb,You do not know what you are talking about, Brad Hardie deserved his Brownlow what have you won?Lt maybe Natanui needs ... more
- Dean Ercegovic on Drop Nic Naitanui now How does he compare to the great Stephen Michael. They were basically same size and physical attributes, yet at the same age ... more
- Barb on Drop Nic Naitanui now Brad Hardie has never had anything positive to say about the Eagles. His opinion counts for nothing. The most over rated ... more
- john on Joe Hockey's pension problems Joe Hockey wants everybody to tighten there belts to bring the budget down , well what about the Politian's tightening there ... more
- Liza on Drop Nic Naitanui now Leave Nic alone - people should look at their own form either in the work force or in their chosen sport - if they are at ... more
- Rob on Drop Nic Naitanui now Could not agree more Nic is a liability in his current form, and I reckon his confidence is shot, let him give the WAFL a ... more
- Val on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My Deepest Sympathy goes to the owners of Sheber. I hope the useless thugs who killed your beautiful dog get punished with a ... more
- Termoil on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My tears fall for Sheber, a defenceless, innocent, helpless loved family dog. HOW CRUEL. HOW UNBELIEVABLY CRUEL. ... more
- Carole Wynne on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Hope they get caught soon let's all see what the cowards look like. I am so angry my heart breaks for the family . more
- Maxine Kent on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog This has made me so sick. Their are just no words for this terrible crime. I cant even think of it as I cry just like so ... more
- Stacey on Carparks full by 5.40am I agree - if the buses ran more regularly, more people would catch this option to the train station. Hourly is not good ... more
- Kat on Carparks full by 5.40am I would like to see the buses that connect to the train stations run on a more regular basis. During the week days my bus ... more
- Jodi on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog I am sorry to hear of what happened to your dog. I too have a 15 year old dog called Sheba. I can only imagine how you feel. ... more
Immigration tearing family apart
Howard Sattler spoke to Toni Hughes whose 23-year-old son is being sent back to the UK because he is not eligible to apply for a dependent visa event thought his mother is an Australian resident. They say because he left school to join the UK military and serve in Afghanistan and Iraq he is financially independent. James described to Howard how his best mate died in front of him while he was on tour in Afghanistan.
Below is the audio of Howard's interview with Toni Hughes from Monday.
Dellas the whole point is the this and why people are getting angry at this whole situation is this. The government are letting hundrends of non english speaking people into Australia (ILLEGAL BOAT IMMAGRANTS) as i like to call them into our country ILLEGALLY. TONY hughes is going to be made to leave Perth in which his Family live here he has a job waiting for him. He speaks Full English and has fought for Britain along side Australia in iraq and Afganistan watch his friends die. BUT THE GOVERNMENT CAN GET OFF kicking him back to the uk on the terms of his education levels arent high enough WHAT A CROCK OF shit. He went to school till he was 16 sat English and Maths in the Army and has a number of schools that he has learnt along the way. ITS NOT TO DO WITH LEGISLATION its to do with god damn prinicipal. LET THE BOY STAY HE WILL MAKE A FANTASTIC asset to our country alot better than the numerous people coming here illegally. Kind regard TASH from ThornlieNatasha Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:26 PM
I am an Australian Citizenship, but because my parents decided to have 3 children, they cannot come and live in Australia. My two brothers live in UK. The Australian law says that you have to have 2/3 of your children living here, otherwise you can't come. They both would be very financially secure here, be able to buy a home and look after themselves without any assistance from the state or myself. I have lived most of my life parted by circumstances from my parents and as they grow older, I know time is running out and I would love to have them here and to see their grandchildren grow. Also they love Australia. My mother in law is allowed to come and live here, because she only has one living child here in Australia. It just seems unfair. When as you said people can get on a boat and just come.Bev Friday 10 August, 2012 - 1:03 PM
"And by the way, I am sick to death of hearing people from Britain speak as though they, because of ancestral links, have a right over those from other countries, to automatic egress into Australia."
At least you are aware of the ancstral links unlike a minor UK government official a few years ago who questioned why special visas are available for Australian nationals wishing to work or settle in Britain.
However, this James Shaw case does seem to be a result of him just applying for the wrong visa. Nobody's fault but his own (and his mum.)Gloom Friday 10 August, 2012 - 2:20 AM
What has gone wrong with this country??This young man has done more than most to prove to immigration that he is a worthy candidate to be allowed to stay in this country no matter what visa he has applied under!I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
The fact is, whether he is British or Australian,without men and woman like this where might we be??,he is part of the Commonwealth and has done more than most at such an early age!!
I hope Howard keeps this story alive and we all support this young man and his family.This has nothing to do with Ancestral links!Without men and women like this guy we might not be having this discussion!!
Behind you a 100% mate.Lets hope they see sense and you get the break you deserve!!
Aw the best to yerself and yer mum.Scot Thursday 9 August, 2012 - 10:45 PM
How can a British citizen with papers and a Passport be denied access to citizenship in Australia in favour of someone who destroyed all their papers upon arriving in Australian waters, and claiming to be refugees. This man has a mother living here who is a citizen. Let this honest man in, I am sure he will never be on the dole like many of the boat people are.averill Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 11:45 PM
It seems to me that you cant even mention Refugees anymore as it is getting politically wrong to mention it. I feel sorry for Tony Hughes as I think he sounds like a decent guy who just wants to make a decent life for himself in Australia.
My hairdresser had to pay $100.000 to come hear and they never got any handouts they did it all by themselves and yet there are people who come here on those little boats whoe paid $11000 and when they get here they are offered all the free goodies. Where is the justice in this world.penny Wednesday 8 August, 2012 - 3:36 PM