- Banksia Hill damaged
- National service for youth
- Simpson pulls Freo plug
- The barbaric bump is dead
- Possibility of more packages
- AHA want penalty rate changes
- How do you stop Sandilands
- Power's Liverpool weapon fires
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Diana on AHA want penalty rate changes Its a disgrace to bring up US wages in catering in comparison. $6.50/hr plus tips might go to $9? Very slick interview. Look ... more
- Dellas on Pratt concedes defeat Actually, I was going to go below the line to vote for Louise, but after looking at that ridiculous Ballot paper, I chose ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Pratt concedes defeat Time for Palmer United Party to takeover Labor completely and have all unions working for him and all all States including ... more
- Stuart Hardie on One text ended three young lives I think that texting while driving is insane when people can get killed I think that having a road safety campaign is a good ... more
- Andrew on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Paul, did you actually see what Sylia did. Regardless if he gave him concussion or not, he intentionally hit him in the ... more
- Paul on Sylvia in 'Kangaroo Court' Take your eagles jacket off Karl! more
- Jay on Where for art thou CCC? Unless it has the name Burke somewhere in the investigation then they are not interested, right? more
- Geoff Kay on Drop Nic Naitanui now Barb,You do not know what you are talking about, Brad Hardie deserved his Brownlow what have you won?Lt maybe Natanui needs ... more
- Dean Ercegovic on Drop Nic Naitanui now How does he compare to the great Stephen Michael. They were basically same size and physical attributes, yet at the same age ... more
- Barb on Drop Nic Naitanui now Brad Hardie has never had anything positive to say about the Eagles. His opinion counts for nothing. The most over rated ... more
- john on Joe Hockey's pension problems Joe Hockey wants everybody to tighten there belts to bring the budget down , well what about the Politian's tightening there ... more
- Liza on Drop Nic Naitanui now Leave Nic alone - people should look at their own form either in the work force or in their chosen sport - if they are at ... more
- Rob on Drop Nic Naitanui now Could not agree more Nic is a liability in his current form, and I reckon his confidence is shot, let him give the WAFL a ... more
- Val on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My Deepest Sympathy goes to the owners of Sheber. I hope the useless thugs who killed your beautiful dog get punished with a ... more
- Termoil on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog My tears fall for Sheber, a defenceless, innocent, helpless loved family dog. HOW CRUEL. HOW UNBELIEVABLY CRUEL. ... more
- Carole Wynne on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog Hope they get caught soon let's all see what the cowards look like. I am so angry my heart breaks for the family . more
- Maxine Kent on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog This has made me so sick. Their are just no words for this terrible crime. I cant even think of it as I cry just like so ... more
- Stacey on Carparks full by 5.40am I agree - if the buses ran more regularly, more people would catch this option to the train station. Hourly is not good ... more
- Kat on Carparks full by 5.40am I would like to see the buses that connect to the train stations run on a more regular basis. During the week days my bus ... more
- Jodi on Mongrels bash 15yr old dog I am sorry to hear of what happened to your dog. I too have a 15 year old dog called Sheba. I can only imagine how you feel. ... more
Drugs & match fixing no surprise
Today’s explosive revelations that lifted the lid on illegal drugs and match fixing in Australian professional sport should come as no surprise.
The whole shameful issue is rooted in the extraordinary amount of money available to our top athletes and the opportunity for punters to profit from their exploits.
And the biggest single earner from this system is…government, which relies on legalised betting for about one tenth of its income.
When legalised betting was extended from horses and dogs to human only sports it established a slippery slope that guaranteed today’s result.
Organised crime… ever on the lookout for new revenue streams…has gleefully embraced the prospect…with clear evidence … and convictions of competitors who have performed or not.. according to the instructions of their crooked masters.
Australians have loved to cast aspersions at foreign sportsmen and women who’ve been caught out.
Who are we kidding to think that some among the ranks of our own countrymen and women have not taken bribes for performing to affect a result?
Evidence that the other half of the tragic story… extensive illegal drug taking… has been staring down sporting administrators in this country for decades.
The West Coast Eagles were the most prominent local team exposed for drug taking and links with notorious criminals
Today they and their other local AFL rivals…the Fremantle Dockers…have gone to ground, refusing to acknowledge or discuss the crime commission report.
And Essendon FC… now only the tip of the iceberg that is this scandal… are likely one of only several clubs that will now have the broom put through them.
And AFL is not alone…it seems the tentacles of crime…drug traffickers and match fixers… have permeated most major professional sports in this country…including Soccer, Rugby League, Rugby Union, tennis and cricket.
What govt does about it will define the future of the most high profile sports…since no parent should want their son or daughter signed up to a future where they’ll be called on to cheat or risk their health for dirty money.